Australian citizen, permanent resident or New Zealand citizens usually resident in Australia

You can travel to Australia if you are an Australian citizen, a permanent resident or a New Zealand citizen usually resident in Australia.

Australia has strict border measures in place to protect the health of the Australian community. Very limited flights are currently available to and from Australia and you may not be able to travel at this time. See Smartraveller. Travel restrictions are subject to change. Please check back regularly. See: National Cabinet media statement.

All travellers arriving in Australia, including Australian citizens, must quarantine for 14 days at a designated facility, such as a hotel in the city of arrival.​ See Coronavirus (COVID-19) advice for travellers.

You may be required to pay for the costs of your quarantine. To find out more about quarantine requirements, contact the relevant state or territory government health department.

Australian citizen

Australian citizens can enter Australia and, in exceptional circumstances, can enter without a valid Australian passport. You should be aware of any restrictions in the country you are leaving before you travel. See Smartraveller

If you don’t have a valid passport, and urgently need to travel before a passport can be issued, please advise airline staff that you are an Australian citizen and do not require a visa to enter Australia. The airline will contact the Australian Border Force to verify your citizenship. You must carry other identity documents with you.

Permanent resident of Australia

You can enter Australia if you hold a permanent visa for Australia, including a Resident Return visa.

New Zealand citizens usually resident in Australia

New Zealand citizens who normally reside in Australia (with a subclass 444 visa or other permanent or provisional visa) can come to Australia. 

You must be able to present evidence of residency documentation at check-in. Acceptable evidence of residency documentation may include, but is not limited to:

  • Government issued documentation (for example Australian issued driver's licence, Medicare card, registration as an Australian resident with the Australian Tax Office) which is supported by one other type of documentation confirming:
    • you have current employment or approved study in Australia (or financial support evidenced through a local bank statement) or
    • you own or rent property in Australia (e.g. utility bills, rates notices, lease agreement)

You can present this evidence when you check-in at the airport. Your residency will be verified against your travel history before you are allowed to board your flight. If you have any doubt about whether your circumstances fall within the definition of normally resident, we recommend you lodge a request for assessment at least two weeks prior to your intended departure.

Lodge your request

I have a Refugee and Humanitarian (Class XB) visa

COVID-19 travel restrictions currently prevent people from entering Australia unless they are an Australian citizen or permanent resident.

If you hold a Refugee and Humanitarian (Class XB) visa you are not considered to be a permanent resident, unless you have already entered Australia.

Refugee and Humanitarian (Class XB) visa holders who have not yet travelled to Australia are not able to enter Australia at this time, unless they have applied for and been granted an exemption. For further information, see Travel restrictions.

Apply online for an exemption

Please make only one request per person. Duplicate requests will delay assessment. If you are not granted an exemption, you should not continue with travel plans, as you will not be permitted to board a flight to Australia. If you are granted a travel exemption, you will need to take evidence of that exemption decision to the airport.

Apply online