Immigration Medical Examination have recommenced in all States and Territories following the recent easing of COVID-19 restrictions. Applicants whose appointments have previously been cancelled have already been contacted to rebook, and Bupa has opened public bookings via their website. Due to the current high demand, appointments may not be available until early 2022, particularly for clinics in New South Wales and Victoria.

The Department of Home Affairs is aware of the limited availability and that appointments may exceed the 28-day time frame given. For any questions regarding your visa application, please contact your visa processing officer.

I have a Bridging visa

I have a Bridging visa A, B or C

If you currently hold a Bridging visa A, B or C, this will allow you to stay in Australia while your existing visa application or review is being processed. However, if you have no pending immigration decisions or reviews and you cannot depart Australia, you should apply for a new visa to keep you lawful.

If you are a Bridging visa A or C holder and you depart Australia, your Bridging visa A or C will cease. If you want to return to Australia in the future, you will need to apply for another visa to allow you to return. Bridging visa A holders may instead consider applying for a Bridging visa B before they leave Australia.

  • Bridging visa B applications continue to be processed. However, Bridging visa B holders will be denied entry to Australia until travel restrictions are lifted, unless an exemption applies.  For further information on travel restrictions and exemptions, see Coming to Australia.

I have a Bridging visa E

A Bridging visa E will allow you to stay in Australia while you:

  • make arrangements to leave
  • wait for an immigration decision.

If you have become unlawful and cannot apply for other visas, applying for a Bridging visa E as soon as possible will provide you with lawful status in Australia so you can make arrangements to depart as soon as possible.

If you hold a Bridging visa E but cannot depart Australia before it expires, you will need to apply for another Bridging visa E to remain lawful.

For people who depart Australia as unlawful non-citizens or holders of Bridging visas, D, E or F, you may be excluded from returning to Australia for a period of time and it may affect future visa applications:

  • Further information on re-entry bans is available at: Re-entry ban

Working on a Bridging visa

You may be allowed to work in Australia depending on your Bridging visa conditions. You can check by:

  • using the VEVO service, or
  • accessing your visa conditions through your ImmiAccount.

If your Bridging visa does not let you work, or has restrictions on working, you may be able to apply for another Bridging visa that lets you work. This is only available in some circumstances and you will usually have to demonstrate that you are in financial hardship.

If you do not meet the requirements for work, and you are still eligible for a Bridging visa, we will grant you a new Bridging visa with the same conditions that were on your previous Bridging visa.

Expiring Bridging visas

If your visa is about to expire you should consider returning to your home country as quickly as possible if you are able to, particularly if you do not have family support.

Temporary visa holders who are unable to support themselves over the next six months are strongly encouraged to return home and to make arrangements as quickly as possible.

If you cannot depart Australia, you will need to maintain a valid visa. You will be expected to depart Australia when travel restrictions are lifted.

For further information see: Your visa is expiring or has expired

If you are outside Australia and are unable to enter before your visa’s validity ceases, you will need to apply for and be granted a new visa if you wish to travel to Australia.

It is not possible to extend the validity period of a visa. It is also not possible to make a valid application for a Bridging visa B (BVB) while you are outside Australia or to be granted a BVB while outside Australia.

Support services

If you cannot resolve your visa status, the Department of Home Affairs' Status Resolution Service (SRS) can help.

Further information is available at: Status resolution service

SRS officers can explain your visa options and tell you how decisions you make now can affect your options later on. They can also help you plan your departure from Australia, and refer you to other services where necessary.

In exceptional circumstances, the Department’s Status Resolution Service can help eligible individuals wishing to depart from Australia. The Department contracts the International Organisation for Migration (IOM) and Serco (Homeward) as service providers to facilitate its returns assistance program.

Returns assistance may provide eligible recipients with one, or any combination of assistance, including:

  • independent returns counselling
  • plane ticket
  • assistance to obtain travel documents
  • reception assistance in country of return
  • travel assistance to final destination.

To be considered eligible for returns assistance, you must:

  • be a non-citizen
  • not hold a visa that permits re-entry to Australia
  • elect to voluntarily return to a country-of-origin or a country where you have a right of entry and stay
  • demonstrate you are unable to self-fund your return.

Further information is available at: Help to leave

Status Resolution Support Services (SRSS) provides support for certain non-citizens who are in the Australian community temporarily while their immigration status is being determined. The SRSS program provides short-term, tailored support to individuals who are unable to support themselves while they engage with the Department of Home Affairs to resolve their immigration status. It is not an ongoing welfare entitlement.

Individuals on a Bridging visa with work rights, and who have the capacity to work, are expected to support themselves while their immigration status is being resolved.

During the COVID-19 period, applications for support under SRSS will be assessed on a case-by-case basis.

Further information is available at: Status Resolution Support Services