- Arabic (عربى) (179 KB PDF)
- Bengali (বাংলা) (148 KB PDF)
- Chinese - Simplified ( 简体中文) (105 KB PDF)
- Greek (Ελληνικά) (172 KB PDF)
- Hindi (हिंदी) (544 KB PDF)
- Indonesian (Bahasa Indonesia) (61 KB PDF)
- Italian (Italiano) (168 KB PDF)
- Japanese (日本語) (146 KB PDF)
- Korean (한국어) (129 KB PDF)
- Persian (فارسی) (177 KB PDF)
- Portuguese (Brazil) (Português (Brasil)) (62 KB PDF)
- Punjabi (ਪੰਜਾਬੀ) (108 KB PDF)
- Sinhalese (සිංහල) (79 KB PDF)
- Spanish (Español) (62 KB PDF)
- Tagalog (Tagalog) (61 KB PDF)
- Tamil (தமிழ்) (318 KB PDF)
- Urdu (اردو) (279 KB PDF)
- Vietnamese (Tiếng Việt) (177 KB PDF)
On this page
You are automatically exempt from Australia’s travel restrictions (and don’t have to request an exemption) if you are transiting Australia for 72 hours or less.
If you intend to spend more than 72 hours in Australia waiting for your connecting flight, you are not considered to be transiting Australia and will need to request an exemption from Australia’s travel restrictions.
You must follow the quarantine requirements in the state or territory you arrive in.
Visa requirements to transit Australia
To transit Australia you must hold a valid visa or be from an eligible country to Transit Without a Visa (TWOV).
If you don’t hold a valid visa or are not eligible to TWOV you must apply for a visa to enter Australia.
To transit Australia for up to 72 hours apply for a Transit visa (subclass 771).
I am a New Zealander transiting Australia for up to 72 hours
New Zealand citizens eligible for a Special Category visa (Subclass 444) do not need to apply for another visa to transit Australia for up to 72 hours.
To transit on a Special Category visa, you must have evidence that you are transiting within 72 hours (such as a travel itinerary or flight ticket) and present it at the airport in the city you arrive in Australia.
Transit quarantine arrangements
You must follow the quarantine requirements in the state or territory that you arrive in. You may need to stay in hotel accommodation and you may be asked to pay for your stay, while you are waiting for your onwards flight. For information on quarantine requirements contact the relevant state or territory government health department.